CARDIOVASCULAR HOME HEALTH MONITORING
PT/INR Patient Self-Testing is a Medicare covered diagnostic PT/INR test performed once-a-week by a patient in their home.
- Due to the volatility of Coumadin®™ (Warfarin) and its varying effectiveness from one patient to the next, finding the precise dose that is perfect for one particular patient requires frequent testing of blood coagulation rates.
- Studies have shown that the most effective frequency of PT/INR testing for patients on Coumadin®™ (Warfarin) is once every seven days. Testing less frequently increases the risks of complication to the patient.
- Patients on Coumadin®™ (or warfarin) are required to have periodic PT/INR tests to help their physician manage their Coumadin®™ dosing regimen.
- Historically, the patient would travel to a clinic to have their blood drawn and their PT/INR analyzed.
- Recently, several high profile clinical trials have shown that once-a-week in-home PT/INR testing has dramatic benefits to the patient compared with monthly testing at the lab.
- Testing once-a-week at home, patients studied showed a decrease across the board in complications associated with Coumadin®™ therapy.
- Additionally, weekly testing showed that patient PT/INR levels were safely within their therapeutic range 30% more than with monthly lab testing.
- In response to this compelling data, Medicare expanded reimbursement coverage for weekly patient self testing.
Benefits of Self-Testing
A ten-year follow-up of the Early Self-Controlled Anticoagulation study (ESCAT) demonstrated a 33% increase in survival compared to conventional therapy.1
An analysis of studies on Patient Self Testing revealed that “patients capable of self-monitoring their warfarin therapy could benefit from a 1/3 reduction in death from all causes.”2
- Decrease TE (stroke) events by 55%
- Decrease Major Hemorrhagic events by 35%
- Decrease “all cause” mortality by 39%
PST allows the patient the freedom to enjoy anywhere testing while still working with their
physician to manage their Coumadin®™ or Warfarin therapy.
PST improves clinical outcomes, with reductions in TE (stroke) and hemorrhagic events.1
1 Koertke, H. et al. Ann Thoracic Surg 2007; 83: 24-9
2 Heneghan, C. et al. Lancet 2006; 367: 404-11
Test Your INR On Your Schedule, At Home, In 5 Minutes!
How Home Testing Works
1. Sign-up with PHM (you can cancel anytime)
A quick call to an enrollment specialist at 877-811-9690 gets you started.
2. We Send You A Meter & Train You How To Test
You’ll receive a meter and we’ll send a healthcare professional to your home to train you or your doctor can train you.
3. Take Your Test in Just a Few Minutes!
PHM will ensure that you always have enough supplies to perform your test once every seven days.
4. Report Your Results To PHM
You can report your results online or phone them into us at 877-811-9690.
5. We Report Your Results to Your Physician
We contact your physician through protocols your physician requests so that they can adjust your dose, if necessary, in a timely manner.